Financial Aid

Yes, you must be accepted for admission to Belmont Abbey College before you will be considered for financial aid. However, you should not wait on the acceptance letter to apply for financial aid. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1st. You can apply for financial aid on the Federal Student Aid website. The Belmont Abbey College federal school code is 002910.

No, you do not have to pay your tuition deposit before applying for financial aid. However, if you are offered a financial aid award package and accept the package, your tuition deposit must be paid in order for the awards to be reserved for you. Non-traditional students are not required to pay a deposit.

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1st. You can apply for financial aid online at the Federal Student Aid website and the Belmont Abbey College federal school code is 002910. Before completing the application, read the instructions carefully and complete the form according to the instructions.
  • You must use your individual tax information and your parents’ tax information (for dependent students as requested by the FAFSA website) to complete sections of the application. You are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process to import your tax data into the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. 
  • Be certain to list Belmont Abbey College under the “College Release and Certification” section of the FAFSA. If you do not list Belmont Abbey College in this section, the Financial Aid Office will not have access to your data to be considered for financial aid.

You can access the application online through the Federal Student Aid website.

Contact the Belmont Abbey College Financial Aid Office at 704-461-7000. We will be able to answer most of your questions over the telephone but you are always welcome to schedule an appointment.

  • The US Department of Education will calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) according to their Federal Methodology formula.
  • The parent’s income and assets (excluding the home) will be considered. The student’s income and assets will also be considered. The formula also takes into consideration the household size, the number of family members attending college and certain other allowances. They will then send the student a Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating the student’s EFC.
  • The processing of the financial aid application will take approximately 72 hours or 3 business days.
  • If you have unusual financial circumstances, submit your FAFSA with the requested appropriate tax information as usual. Then after receiving your financial aid award, if you feel your issues were not properly addressed, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 704-461-7000.

The FAFSA’s College Release and Certification section gives you the option of listing several colleges in which you are interested. Make sure to put all of the correct Title IV Codes for those colleges on the FAFSA. Belmont Abbey’s Code is 002910.

No, determining eligibility and awarding financial aid is the responsibility of Belmont Abbey College. That is the reason it is important to list Belmont Abbey College under the College Release and Certification section of your financial aid application.

The cost of attendance is an estimated amount a student may expect to pay during the academic year for tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1st. You can apply for financial aid online on the Federal Student Aid website; Belmont Abbey College’s federal school code is 002910. Once the Belmont Abbey College Financial Aid Office receives your processed need analysis, your eligibility (demonstrated need) will be determined by subtracting the expected family contribution (EFC) from the cost of attendance If you have demonstrated need, you will be considered for federal and state need-based programs.

Five to fourteen days after the Belmont Abbey College Financial Aid Office receives the student’s need analysis, the student will receive a tentative award letter listing the different types and amounts of aid they may be eligible to receive in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and work study from all federal, state, and institutional programs.

The Financial Aid Office of Belmont Abbey College is under federal regulations to verify the student’s and parents’ adjusted gross and untaxed incomes and any other possible discrepancies in information. The Financial Aid Office will request the applicable tax transcripts and other required forms to complete this verification process. The items listed above will be reviewed to check for the accuracy of the information supplied on the FAFSA. Until this verification process has been completed, the award will remain tentative.

If any of the items as listed in the question above have to be corrected during the verification process, the Financial Aid Office must obtain a new “official” EFC based on the corrections.  The award may increase or decrease once the new EFC has been determined by the Department of Education.  If there are any adjustments, the student will receive a revised award letter.

If you do not have eligibility for need-based aid, you will receive a listing of the student and parent loans available.

Yes, you must complete a renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year as soon as possible after January 1 but prior to March 1.  Need-based financial aid is not carried forward from year to year. You must re-apply every year you attend college.

Traditional students may contact the Admissions Office to determine your qualifications and eligibility to compete for academic scholarships.

The Higher Education Amendments have established an unsubsidized loan program for students who do not qualify in whole or in part for the subsidized Federal Stafford Loan and/or for the unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan.


It is not unusual for a student to come to college having already received counseling at home. Others may not have previous counseling experience but may have difficulty with transitioning to college or may have other issues or concerns arise while at college. In either of these circumstances, students and parents are advised to consult with Counseling Services to get information about the best options available. We can assess your child’s current needs and then link him or her with the most appropriate treatment option. Such options may include any of the following short-term individual counseling with Counseling Services and/or a referral to a qualified provider in the community. In any circumstance, parents are encouraged to offer continued support and involvement as this is often crucial to the well-being of the student.

  • If your daughter or son has a relationship with a therapist at home, she or he may want to continue that relationship and will need to make appropriate arrangements. Your child may need to be connected with a new therapist in the area. In addition, if your child is receiving treatment and medication management with a psychiatrist at home, it will be important to determine how to maintain that relationship during the academic year. The transition to college is a time when direct therapeutic support is especially valuable to students with previous psychological or psychiatric treatment. Counseling Services therefore recommends that families discuss with the student’s therapist and/or psychiatrist or other health care provider how this transition will best be handled.
  • If private insurance covers your child’s care, it is important that parents, students and the home therapist and/or psychiatrist work with that provider prior to beginning college in order to arrange for on-going care. Counseling Services strongly recommends that you and your daughter or son begin these preparations at least two months prior to arriving at college. Counseling Services can assist with resource information.
  • Homesickness is a normal response to separation from people, places and things that give you a sense of belonging. Most people experience homesickness at some point in their lives; relocation for new job, starting college, or studying abroad.
  • If your son/daughter should become homesick let them know that it is normal.  They are not inadequate, it does pass, and there are some things they can do which may help them get through some of those “sad and lonely feelings”.
  • For example, it may be helpful to suggest to your student:
    • Familiarize themselves with their new surroundings. Walk around. He/she will feel more in control if they know where buildings, classes, services are located.
    • Invite people to explore their new surroundings with them.  Making friends is a big step in alleviating homesickness.
    • Establish a routine as soon as possible. The fuller their days are, the less time they will have to feel homesick or lonely.
    • Examine your expectations. We’d all like to be popular, out-going, well-adjusted, but we’re not.
    • Don’t allow setting their goals too high or being a perfectionist create more trouble for them.
    • Learn to laugh at their mistakes.
    • Seek new opportunities. Seek out activities they are interested in where they might meet new people. Remember there are other people out there experiencing the same feelings that they are.
    • Keep in contact with family & friends. This can help them feel connected. It is also comforting to receive mail and know that they are missed. He/she may want to keep a journal as well. This can be a good way to get their feelings out rather than just ruminating about them.
  • Do something! Don’t wait for homesickness to go away by itself. Trying to ignore it only increases the chances that it will resurface as fatigue, a cold, or a headache. If he/she feels none of these efforts are working, they may want seek professional help. Call the Wellness Center at (704) 461-5081, and ask to meet with a counselor.